Go to Top

How to find and share great content

sharing great contentWhenever I post tips, insights or other links on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or even on my own blog, I hear from followers: “Thanks so much for sharing. This is really helpful!” This feedback is gratifying. After all, the reason I’m spending time finding and sharing this stuff is to cultivate relationships with colleagues, clients and prospects.

So how can you find great stuff as part of your content marketing efforts? Even better, how can you become a curator known for generously sharing the best of relevant content? Here are some tips for you. Of course this is not an exhaustive list, but instead shows simple steps you can start today.

First, you need to find great content.

• Subscribe to blogs and newsletters in your field; use Feedly, now that Google Reader is fading away, to keep those subscriptions up to date and in order.
  • Check mainstream news sources daily (New York Times, Guardian, Mashable, etc.)
  • Read LinkedIn Today for ideas.
  • Sign up for updates from News.me, which gleans what it determines to be top stories from your Facebook and Twitter feeds, and delivers them to you as daily emails.
  • Set up persistent searches in Twitter for keywords you’re interested in (for me, it’s podcasting, storytelling, curation and so on).
  • Follow smart people on Twitter and subscribe to Twitter lists of “thought leaders” in your areas of interest.
  • Get involved in Google+ Communities, where you’ll find plenty of insights and news around the niche topics you care about.
  • Subscribe to “newspapers” on Paper.li; look for papers that focus on subject matter that’s meaningful to you.  Here’s a quick video on Paper.li (slightly out of date but still apropos).
  • Flip through Flipboard on your mobile device to find interesting stuff. You can share items directly to your social media accounts via Flipboard too.
  • Sign up for Scoop.it, a publishing-by-curation platform, designed around your favorite keywords.

Next, you have to organize this wonderful content you’ve found.
My favorite tool for organizing my content is Delicious, a social bookmarking service. This slightly dated video shows you how it works. Some of my colleagues prefer Diigo or Pearltrees. Whichever social bookmarking tool you choose, be sure it allows you to add as many tags as you want, to make it easier to find content later. Do not rely on your browser bookmarks. Trust me on this!

Finally, you want to publish your great content.
Certainly there are a zillion ways to do this, but here are a few suggestions:

• Write blog posts, using the information you’re found as a jumping off point, while adding your own experience, insights and opinions.
  • Tweet interesting blog posts, news items, etc., to your followers; share the content on Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+ too.
  • If the content is visual, consider sharing it on Pinterest.
  • Publish your own “newspapers” on Scoop.it or Paper.li and share them via social media.
  • Use Storify to gather up tweets around a particular hashtag (great for events!) and share them on social media or embed them in your blog.
  • For an organization, consider using such paid services as Curata or Curation Station to curate content.

You’ll become a true curator when you consistently find, organize, annotate and share the best of relevant content. As I’ve mentioned, the above is not a complete list, and I’m curious to learn about your favourite ways to find, organize and share content. Please comment below.

By the way, if you’re interested in the topic of curation, you might find these presentations helpful:
Best practices for content curation
Content curation

About Donna Papacosta

Writer, speaker, podcaster, communications and social media consultant, content marketer and curator. As a consultant, I emphasize the importance of storytelling and relationship-building, and enjoy helping people understand how today’s technology, combined with tried-and-true tactics, can help them communicate better with employees, customers and prospects. In other words: Share your story, build your business.

14 Responses to "How to find and share great content"

• Sue Horner
    May 13, 2013 - 10:46 AM Reply

You always DO share great content! Thanks.

• Emilia Loza
    May 23, 2013 - 8:29 AM Reply

Thank you for sharing these pointers, Donna! I’m sure beginners in social media will be grateful for these tips. And I do agree with your point about writing, organizing, and sharing relevant content will make one a good social media ‘curator’. But more than apps and the software, being curious and open-minded to your surroundings and environment can give you an idea on possible topics that will interest the audience.

Hope to hear more from you!

-Emilia

• Donna Papacosta
    May 23, 2013 - 9:51 AM Reply

That’s true, Emilia. A curious mind and a generous spirit can facilitate curation.

• Voice Bee
    August 26, 2013 - 4:53 AM Reply

If some one needs expert view concerning blogging and site-building then i propose
    him/her to visit this blog, Keep up the good job.

• Antoine
    September 1, 2013 - 11:16 PM Reply

This is a very good tip particularly to those new
    to the blogosphere. Brief but very accurate information… Many thanks for
    sharing this one. A must read post!

• Craig DesBrisay
    December 10, 2013 - 12:17 AM Reply

Hi Donna,

Great post on a bunch of different ways to find and curate content!

FYI… Topicurious can really help with finding great content too. Roughly 50% of “high-value” tweets with good content being shared contain hashtags, and Topicurious helps to filter down the noise of Twitter and allows users to either find popular content that is being shared by lots of people, or rare content that can help your rise above the noise and differentiate.

Let me know if you’d like a tutorial on how to use Topicurious for content curation…

- Craig

• Donna Papacosta
      December 10, 2013 - 3:48 PM Reply

Thanks, Craig. Truth be told, I have a Topicurious account but am not really taking advantage of it. A tutorial would be great. Thanks.

• (@mathewlowry
    January 19, 2014 - 2:49 PM Reply

I had a good think about this last summer and took a similar workflow a wee bit further. Briefly, after finding stuff and storing it using diigo, I often share it directly from there using IFTTT (If This, Then That) and Buffer.

The useful content gets posted on Yammer (for my colleagues) and/or Tumblr (which may then get tweeted via another IFTTT recipe), depending on how I tag it on diigo – different tags trigger different IFTTT recipes.

I usually add comments in the note field, so I am effectively blogging directly from diigo. I’ve been doing this for around 6 months now and I find it gives me a third form of content, somewhere between microblogging (Twitter) and indepth posts (WordPress blog). Sitting in this middle ground are short, unformatted posts, essentially commenting on useful stuff as I simultaneously store it in my library and share it with colleagues and followers.

If you’d like more detail, click on my name: you’ll find a post and a short (11 min) prezicast describing it in more detail. Hope someone finds it useful.

• buy soundcloud promotion
    November 14, 2014 - 10:56 AM Reply

constantly i used to read smaller posts which also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this piece
    of writing which I am reading now.